As we all know meditation has various of advantages like it help us to reduce anxiety, stay focused etc. Many of us often used or watched our grandparents/ parents using 108 mala beads while chanting mantra or during meditation. The number 108 is significant across many culture and field of science.
As per Hindu tradition it is believed that 1-100 beads is for completion of Mantra and 8 extra beads is for allowance for errors, if we look the extra beads from different perspective they are intended to be your offering to your guru.
From this article I want to introduce the importance of 108 beads in a mala as per scientific and religious views.
1) As per psychology and time there are 108 feelings, with 36 related to past, 36 related to present 36 related to the future.
2) In Ayurveda there are 108 marmas aur secred place in the body. The various point awaken and align the vital energy when they are manipulated.
3) In the field of mathematics the number 108 is favour for its infinite division potentials and countless patterns. The number 108 can be divided by the total of its parts and most of the proper divisors making it almost a perfect number.
4) As per ancient literature the rigved is composed of 108 chapters. The primary tantra are 108, while the Upanishad are also 108. There text are written in Sanskrit that is composed of 54 letter and each letter having both the masculine and feminine form when you multiply 54 by 2 do we arrive at number 108.
5) In astrology there are 12 houses and nine planets and 12 x 9 equal to 108.
6) in vedic tradition the number 108 denote the wholeness of the universe.( 1) stand for god for higher truth,(0) stand for emptiness for completeness in spiritual practice,(8) stand for Infinity.
7) In the field of astronomy the Sun’s diameter is about 108 times that of Earth’s diameter. The distance from planet earth which solar star is about 108 times the diameter of sun. The same parallel relationship also exist between the Earth and the Moon.
8) In Hindu religion the Lord Krishna in Vrindavan had 108 followers known as gopis and there were 108 Shiv ganas(the attendants of lord Shiva) and our tradition also describe the presence of 108 Divya temple of Vishnu.
9) In yogic tradition there are 108 pithas ,or sacred sites throughout India
10) In Japan at the end of year, a bell is chimed 108 time in Buddhist temples to finish the old year and welcome the new one. Is ring represents one of 108 earthly Temptation a person must overcome to achieve Nirvana.
This is why the 108 beads is so significant.
Performing meditation with 108 beads mala and Mantra feel our body with positive vibrations, it will help us to be focus on our work, and can reduce our mental and physical fatigue.
So utilise the benefit of this 108 beads of Mala.
1) select a quiet and comfortable spot. Safe comfortably making show that the spines is in straight position. Keep the close and breathe deeply.
2) use a Mantra as you sit comfortably and with your eyes close you can chant your Mantra either silently or aloud.
3) use your right hand in holding your mala, make sure to drap the mala between your index and middle finger, start counting each beats using your thumb while reciting your mantra.
4) while travelling to around the mala you will be able to recite your mantra 108 time until you reach again the starting bead. If you want to continue your meditation even you reach the starting bead(guru bead) instead of passing though you can reverse direction and go through the process again.
Thank you for reading this article.