Amritesh Singh Thakur
Reference – https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side (Harvard medical school )
More then 70% of youth are suffering from sleep disorder or Insomnia which reduce our mental strength and most of us are in a state of chronic fatigue.
From this article I want to draw your attention towards the main cause of insomnia and various sleep disorder which are damaging our brain and eyes day by day, even it can cause cancer diabetes and obesity too.
All artificial light ( blue lights) from smartphones , LED`S and fluorescent bulb aur interrupting our normal sleep pattern.
The body’s biological clock works in rhythm that are set by the amount of light and dark the body is exposed to .This is called Circadian rhythm. The circadian rhythm control the timing of many physiological process that determine sleeping and feeding pattern as well as brain activity hormone production and cell regeneration. Blue light wavelength produced by smart phones , electronics and over head lights boost attention, reaction and mood which makes our brain activity in night time due to which we are unable to sleep .
Many teenager are addicted to smart phones now a days and due to their over utilisation of smartphone at night time make them insomniac because of high exposure of blue light which disrupts their sleep pattern and most of them are not getting enough deep sleep ( Rem sleep ) and results in chronic fatigue.
According to Harvard Medical School exposure to light suppresses the secretion of melatonin a hormone that influence circardian rhythms and as per Harvard medical school there are some experimental evidence that- lowers melatonin level might explain the association with cancer.
A Harvard study explained that exposure of blue light in night time can cause diabetes and possibly obesity.
Many people take sleeping pills for treatment of insomnia , irregular sleep but this sleeping pills are very addictive and it has various side effects too. As we all know that prevention is better than cure.
so here are some preventive measures which can help us to get proper sleep at night –
1) Expose yourself to lot of bright light during the day mainly natural light which will boost our ability to sleep at night as well as if enhance mood and alertness during day time.
2) Use dim red light as night light. red light has the least power to shift circadian rhythm and suppress melatonin.
3) Avoid looking at bright screen in beginning 2 – 3 hours before bed.
4) Use UV or blue light blocking glasses at night for watching TV and using smartphones.Install and use blue light filter application in Smartphone which which reduce the wavelength of blue lights of smartphone in night time.
5) Make an habit of going to bed daily at same time and start doing proper workout (exercise)daily for minimum 15 minutes.
Now It’s the time to get aware and reduce the over utilisation of smartphone at night time.
Thank you for reading this article.